It takes a lot of time and effort to skim through the internet in search of the best products in any field. In the pet care field, this is especially true because pets are so dear to us, and we want the best grooming products for them. The main grooming process generally involves brushing to remove loose hair, dirt, tangles, and matted fur.
This is an activity that is usually done daily to maintain fur and skin in the best condition. Other grooming activities include brush short hair, nail clipping for cats and dogs, thinning for those who lose too much hair through shedding, among others. Most pets also enjoy the occasional bath. All these are carried out using various tools like brushes, de-matting tools among others.
We know that you want to use the best available tools for the comfort and health of your cherished pet. We have done all the hard work in the research for the best brush for short hair dogs or brush for a golden retriever. In addition, we have included tools used in the general grooming of pets.
Factors To Consider When Choosing A Best Brush For Your Short Hair Dogs
Consider this factor when choosing the best brush for your dogs;
- Whether your pet has an undercoat – some dogs like terriers have a soft undercoat of fur, while others have none
- The thickness of the coat. Pets with thick fur will need more robust brushes, while those with thin fur need brush with softer bristles to protect their skin
- Skin problems, if any – Pets that have naturally sensitive skin will need very soft bristled brushes to avoid irritating the skin
- Temperament – Some pets like brushing, others simply don’t. Some will prefer gloves to brushes, and some can stand still while you run their fur through with a de-matting tool. It all depends on the animal.
10 Best Short Hair Dogs Brush Review
1. Furminator Deshedding Tool
The FURminator is one of the best tools you can buy for your dog, especially for heavy shedders. It comes in two variants, for short-haired and long-haired breeds that work magic on dogs of up to 20lbs. It’s designed to reach through to the undercoat to remove loose hairs without hurting your furry friend and is very effective when used as directed.
We found this tool to be great when used regularly and is especially great for maintaining the topcoat in great condition. However, you need to take care to use it as directed. With over 11,000 Amazon reviews and a 4.7 average, the FURminator is one of the best de-shedding tools.
- Comes in two different types for both long hair and short hair, with the same proven effectiveness.
- Has a FURejector to easily drop fur so that you do not have to manually remove it with your hands.
- Ergonomic design fits naturally in the hand for maximum comfort.
- Stainless steel edge for maximum effectiveness and durability.
- Does not damage the top coat.
- The de-shedding tool is not very effective for dogs larger than 20 lbs.
- The price range might be on the higher side for some people.
- Might be harsh on dogs with sensitive hair especially if used too often.
2. Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
Hertzko is one of the big names in pet care products, and it certainly doesn’t disappoint in this brush. It is made of steel wires that bend back on themselves so that it is able to reach through the topcoat and brush through the undercoat thoroughly with little inference.
It clears matted lumps like magic – your four-footed pal won’t even feel a thing. This design also means that the Hertzko self-cleaning slicker brush lasts for ages and is thus a great return on investment.
Why self-cleaning? It has a button that causes the wires to retract so that after brushing you can easily ready it for the next round. This is one of the best short hair dog brush for shedding.
- Dog-friendly design that removes mats and reaches through undercoat without hurting your pal.
- Retracting wire bristles that allow easy hair removal.
- Very ergonomic, with a comfortable anti-slip handle.
- Great for long-haired dogs and cats.
- Affordable and durable.
- The blades may have trouble retracting after some use.
- Is not ideal for short haired pets as the metal blades could hurt their skin.
3. Hertzko Soft Pet Brush
Also from Hertzko, this is a great plastic bristled brush that works for both long and short-haired dogs and cats. It is made with rounded ends that massage the skin as you brush so that blood circulation is increased to bring about that sheen. The brush is designed ergonomically and is very comfortable to use so that both you and your pet will love the brushing sessions.
The Hertzko soft brush is especially suitable for pets with thin hair and sensitive skin due to its gentle design, compared to other brushes.
Despite these features, we are compelled to add that this brush is worth the good name it holds, with 430 reviews on Amazon and 73% percent giving it a full 5 Star review. As a soft brush, we recommend it as the best brush for short hair dogs.
- Gentle and soft for pets with sensitive skin.
- Can be used on all kinds of pets, both short and long haired.
- Comfortable design with anti-slip handle.
- Rounded tips massage and improve circulation to the skin.
- The price tag is a bit high for a brush.
- Lacks an easy clean feature and furs have to be picked off manually.
4. Hertzko Pin Brush
The Hertzko pin brush is designed for penetration to the undercoat to remove shed fur, dirt, mats, and tangles. It is made of long narrow pins with round heads to penetrate the topcoat yet offer protection to the skin of your pet. The rounded heads offer an added advantage of gently massaging the skin as you brush for improved circulation.
As with other Hertzko brushes, the handle is made for comfort with an anti-slip grip for best handling to prevent strain. This pin brush is ideal for long and short-haired breeds of dogs and cats.
- Long pins penetrate the topcoat very effectively to remove shed hair from the undercoat.
- Very effective at removing tangles, mats, dirt, and others from your pet.
- The rounded pins do not irritate sensitive skin and instead help massage it for better circulation.
- Very comfortable to use, anti grip handle prevents strain.
- Great for dogs and cats, both short and long haired ones.
- Hair removal from the pins is manual as there is no automatic feature for this.
- The price tag is a bit high for a single application brush.
5. Rubold Dematting Tool
The Rubold de-matting tool is made specifically for removing tangles and mats. For this, it is equipped with sharp inner teeth that are rounded on the outside for skin protection. It also comes with two sides: 9 teeth on one side for tough tangles and 17 on the other for thinning and de-shedding.
One of its unique designs is its ergonomic non-slip handle that helps prevent strain even for tough sessions. The rounded edges are especially good for sensitive skin, such that even pups can have the comfort of de-matting with the Rubold.
This tool stands tall in its class and it’s no wonder, given that of 1342 reviews on Amazon at the time of writing, 85% gave it a full 5-star rating and an average of 4.7. In addition, the Rubold is an excellent de-matting tool for heavy furred dogs like golden retrievers.
- Great design feature with sharp teeth on the inside for easy detangling.
- Rounded edges for skin protection, is suitable for pups and other sensitive skin.
- Two-sided for both easy tangle/mat removal and effective thinning.
- Very durable: comes with a 100% unconditional lifetime satisfaction warranty.
- Comfortable grip for non slip and strain free use.
- Not very good for short haired pets or those with no undercoat (such as poodles).
6. HaloVa Pet Comb
The HaloVa comb is a combination of rounded-edge pin brush and bamboo bristles on its two sides. The plastic pins can help remove soft tangles and dirt especially for curly-haired breeds (poodles for example). This also makes it excellent for those with no undercoat or thin hair. The bristles on the brush side are spaced closely and soft, to give your pet an enjoyable brush while spreading hair oils for a shiny finish.
The bristles are long-lasting and will not tangle up with your pet’s fur, being made from the highest quality materials. The well-shaped wooden handle fits naturally in the hand for a comfortable hold. When it comes to premium brushing especially for the soft-haired breed, the HaloVa pet comb is a serious contender for the best brush for short hair dogs.
- Two-sided to give you multiple applications.
- Rounded pins remove soft tangles for a soft and curly-haired breed like pugs and terriers.
- High-quality bristles prevent tangling while brushing, and for durability.
- Well shaped wooden handle for better handling.
- Great for no-frills brushing and offers great value for money.
- A bit too big for cats and is, therefore, more preferable for dogs.
- For long brushing sessions, the handle might prove hard on the hands.
7. Pet Neat Grooming Tool
This grooming tool from Pet Neat is made to be an all-around tool for de-shedding, removing tangles, and cleaning the undercoat of dead hairs and skin cells. It is made of a 100mm stainless steel blade with rounded teeth at the edge for effective and comfortable grooming. One of the specialties of this tool is that it is designed for durability.
When you buy this pet grooming tool you can expect a lifetime of service. The manufacturer promises that 10 minutes of brushing will remove up to 95% of dead hair and dirt, and the 4.7 Star review from over 3600 reviews is a testimony to this.
The handle is well crafted for comfortable, firm gripping so that you can easily use it for day-to-day grooming.
- The design of the steel teeth offer effective removal of dead hair from the undercoat of your pet.
- Rounded teeth protect the skin from scratches and bruises.
- Ergonomic handle for a firm, comfortable grip.
- Very durable, made from the best of materials to ensure the long effective service life.
- Small for use on bigger pets like dogs, though perfect for cats.
- No feature for easy hair removal.
- Needs gentle application on pets with thin hairs.
8. Hertzko Slicker Brush
Hertzko has another great tool for the removal of mats, tangles, dirt, and undesirables from the skin of your beloved pet. It is made of fine sturdy wires with rounded edges, which work the hairs t ‘slick’ off hair remove tangles. It is especially suitable for coarse and long-haired pets given its sturdy wires. However, with the gentle application, it also works for short-haired breeds.
The wires on the Hertzko slicker brush are so arranged as to ensure maximum hair removal despite the spacing between them. Indeed, you would have to use it to believe how effective it is at hair removal. Despite this, it is easy to remove this hair from the brush: either by running another brush through it or by pulling with the hands from one end.
These features allow the Hertzko slicker brush to be one of the best brushes for golden retrievers.
- Long study wire bristles move effortlessly to remove tangles and dirt, even in long and tough fur.
- Excellent design for holding onto loose hair to help with maximum effectiveness.
- Easy to remove hair from the brush wires.
- Rounded edges protect from irritation of the skin.
- Comfortable handle for strain free handling.
- Unsuitable for breeds with thin hair such as the foxhound and the Australian Terrier.
- Too big for use on some pets like cats as well as some parts like the ears.
9. Andis Firm Slicker Brush
A premium product from a company with a premium reputation, the Andis firm slicker brush is one variant of the Andis range. It is comprised of firm bristles with soft rounded edges. It is also more closely spaced than other models.
This combination gives it spectacular capabilities, and users report ‘more hair removed with one stroke than with any other brush.’ We have proved that ourselves, and also found that the bristles reach the undercoat effectively and remove loose hairs, grit, and tangles without once irritating the skin.
The other big advantage lies in the soft rounded edges that move soothingly over the skin of your pet. This will at once calm them down and excite more circulation to encourage the growth of new, healthier follicles. To that add a soft-grip handle and you have a near-perfect brush that you and your pet will love.
The Andis is perfect as the best brush for golden retrievers. Taking a fair look at all the pros and cons, we also think that the Andis firm slicker brush also deserves a mention as the best dog brush for shedding.
- Long sturdy bristles reach through to the undercoat to remove the loose hair, dirt and dead skin.
- Effortlessly removes tangles and mats especially in breeds with long thick hair.
- Soft ended bristles caress the skin of your pet to encourage more circulation and prevent irritation.
- A soft and firm grip that is very comfortable to hold and use over long periods.
- Close spacing makes it excellent at removing loose hair with fewer strokes.
- Fairly priced with all the features.
- On the bigger side and may not be very useful for smaller parts like ears and paws.
- Might be a bit tricky to remove the hair from the brush.
10. 6 in 1 Professional Pet Grooming Kit
A full grooming kit from Pets Primal that includes:
- A two-sided combination brush – Has fine bristles on one side and coarse ones on the other for two application brushing
- Nail clipper
- Nail file – used together with the file to keep the claws of dogs and cats in check.
- De-shedding glove – Allows a personal touch to brush especially to pets that have developed an aversion to brushes. Can use for general grooming with its comfortable bristles, as well as during baths
- A pair of two-sided toothbrushes – These are long for comfortable brushing. They also possess two sides: a small one for cats as well as a larger one for dogs.
This kit is intended for a variety of pets such as dogs, cats, and even horses. It is a handy addition for those who like to keep a personal touch on the grooming of their pets
- Being an all in one kit, it allows you to have all you need to groom your pets in one pocket-friendly kit instead of purchasing each separately. Very handy for those with multiple pet types (especially for cats and dogs).
- The glove is a plus for the kit as some pets that don’t like brushes will actually like it. The toothbrushes also help a lot with the oral hygiene of both cats and dogs.
- Easy on the pocket, given the combined practical value of the included products.
- Being an all in one kit, the individual products may not work as well as products that are specially made for the purpose.
- Some, like the combo brush, may even look and feel generic compared to premium ones.
Pets are a responsibility, as everyone who owns one can assert. Taking care of them demands the best quality products. We believe that this comprehensive list will end your search for the best brush for short hair dogs.