Robbery, larceny and burglary thefts are doubtfully on the rise, so do identity theft. Therefore, carelessly disposing your bank statements, credit cards and other sensitive personal information or that of your client, leaves you a possible victim of identity theft. As a result, the law demands proper and safe disposal of sensitive personal information to avert possible data breach. How?
This is through using a paper shredder to chomp through and spit sensitive documents to tiny confetti, leaving your sensitive information non-retrievable. Note that there are different types of paper shredders with distinct designs, prices and end results. In our page, we break down for you best paper shredders under $100. Although cheap, these type of shredders are very effective, reliable and worth a try. Let’s read through!
Why Do You Need A Paper Shredder?
Note that different users need paper shredders for different reasons. Below are some of these common reasons.
1. You might need one to destroy some evidence
Although the action is illegal, sometimes you might need a paper shredder to destroy some evidences that might land you into the arms of the law. For instance, some years back, the union bank of Switzerland needed a paper shredder to destroy some documents that proved their company was using a stolen property from the Jews.
2. To avert from identity theft
This is the major reason as to why many people need paper shredders. Whether in your house or office use, your personal information safety is never guaranteed. Therefore, you need a paper shredder to destroy and cut these documents into tiny pieces before disposing them. This is because documents with personal information like bank account, address or even your name can easily be used to commit identity crime.
3. They have multiple purposes
Paper shredders are on demand due to their versatile nature. Besides shredding personal documents and papers, they are also used to shred and destroy CDs, DVDs and credit cards.
4. To comply with the law
Like stated earlier, USA law demands secure and safe disposal of personal documents or in other words personal identifiable information ( PII) like email address, social security number, name or phone number. According to the state and federal statutes and regulations, such information ‘’must be shredded’’. Therefore you need a paper shredder to avoid bleaching this law.
5. To clean off your office/ home or work place
Apart from avoiding data bleach and complying with the law, you also need a paper shredder to
Keep your working space neat and organized. A clean and neat working space is so paramount when it comes to work effectiveness. Shredding also helps to eliminate waste papers from those in use. This makes work easier as well as provides a better working environment.
6. To protect your brand/ employees/ customers
You don’t need paper shredders to protect your personal information only but also to protect your customer’s or employees sensitive information. This in turn protects your brand. Also, you can protect your brand by shredding some plans or information that you don’t want to reach out to your competitors.
Benefits Of Paper Shredders
Paper shredders come with a number of benefits. From destroying evidences, preventing identity theft to cleaning off your work place, there are other benefits of paper shredders. These are;
- Gives peace of mind: yes! Paper shredders provide a unique rest of mind that leaves you worry free about your sensitive personal information reaching out to fraudsters. Therefore, you rest assured that your personal data is safe and non-retrievable.
- It protects the environment: How? It prevents paper litter on the environment by recycling them for better use.
- They are relevant: paper shredders helps to cut down documents into small pieces which can be recycled and used to provide a warm rest bed for animals/pets. The recycled products are also relevant in producing briquettes which are options to non-renewable fuels.
Types Of Shredders
Before expounding on types of paper shredders, let’s first know what a paper shredder is. By definition, paper shredder is a type of mechanical device that is built to shred or cut papers into strips or tiny particles. These devices have several categories with different designs and mode of shredding down the papers. Some of these are:
1. Strip-cut paper shredders
These are type of paper shredders that are designed to use a rotating blade to cut and produce long strips of papers. These shredders are suitable for home use to shred papers that contain less sensitive data. The greatest advantage of this type is that they are very affordable and cost effective. However, they are the least secure and produce papers that can be reassembled back with time and patience.
- Easy to use.
- Most affordable.
- Easily available.
- They shred more papers per turn thus saves time.
- Least secure.
- End results can be assembled back and information retrieved.
- Only suitable for home use.
2. Cross- cut shredders
This is another type of paper shredder that is easy to use and convenient for both home and office use. This type of shredder is designed with blades that cut and slice through the documents producing confetti like pieces. They are also designed with cutting cylinders that strip thru the papers in length and width with the end results ranging from 1/32 to 3/8 inches Width. The length of the final pieces vary depending on your preference. However, the smaller the length, the more secure the end products they are.
- Affordable to acquire.
- Suitable for both home and office use.
- High security level compared to strip-cut.
- End shreds are tiny and compact thus hard to reassemble and read any personal information.
- The process of shredding is slow thus wastes time.
- Maintenance cost.
3. Micro-cut shredders
As the name implies, this type of paper shredder is one of the most secure and designed to shred down papers into thousands of microparticles. More often than not, you will find them on organizations and government facilities that are high victims of security risks. They are also designed with cutting cylinders that are meant to cut papers both length and width wise. In most cases, this shredder cuts a single common sheet of paper to approximately 12000 pieces of end shred. Isn’t that amazing!
- It is extremely secure to use.
- Information on the end materials can’t be retrieved at all.
- Since end shred s are extremely tiny, they occupy less space thus no need to empty its bin now and then.
- They are the most expensive among the three.
How To Find The Best Paper Shredders For Under $100
Paper shredders don’t have to be bulky and expensive. There are cheap but reliable paper shredders out there. Obviously, price is a relevant factor to consider when finding best paper shredder. However, you ought to look into other important factors while buying your best paper shredders under $100.
- Look at its power to shred : To find the best paper shredder, ensure it has enough power to shred several sheets of paper at once. Also, it should be strong enough to shred and destroy other items like DVDs, credit cards, and CDs.
- Look at its shredded end results : This is another factor to consider when buying the best paper shredders under $100. To get the best device, consider micro or cross cut shred types as they are safe and not possible to reconstruct.
- Look at its ease of use : If you want to find out the best paper shredders below $100, look out for automatic devices with automatic off and on systems. Also, ensure it has special sensors that will automatically detect when the paper load is too much and likely to cause shredding jam.
- Look out for its bin size : To find out the paper shredder, ensure it has a big empty bin. This helps to avoid emptying the shredded papers now and then. It should also have a bigger bin window to easily access and tell whether the bin should be emptied. This helps to save on time.
- Look out for its size : A perfect paper shredder under $100 should be a compact and lightweight model. This makes it easy to handle, convenient to use, easy to place on your desk, and hassle free to move from a place to another.
Top 8 Best Paper Shredders Machine Under $100
1. Amazon Basics 8 – sheet capacity, cross-cut paper and credit card shredder
With the increased cost of living, affordability and a room to save is everyone’s concern nowadays. Therefore, this device is one of the best to opt in line with your low budget. The latter is not only cheap but also reliable and effective. In fact, it boasts of amazing features that are commonly found in expensive shredders above $100. Some of these features are:
- It is a cross cut designed shredder that grinds sheets of papers diagonally in both directions turning them to tiny confetti like pieces. This makes it super secure and reliable to shred some of your sensitive documents. In fact, it has passes p-3 standards security level.
- It is automatic and easy to start and operate. It has a switch on automated mode that makes the shredder start operating once it detects something to shred on the blade. After completing the process, it also have the ability to stop operating.
- It also boasts of a large sheet capacity that can hold and shred 8, 20 pounds heavy sheets of paper at a go. This makes it save time.
- It also features a huge operating power that makes it versatile and strong enough to shred other items like credit cards, small paper clips and also staples.
- It has a thermal protection ability that makes it stop and cool off once its motor overworks. More often than not, it operates for 3 minutes and cools off for 30 minutes. This prolongs its life span.
- It is cheap and affordable.
- It is safety guaranteed.
- It is a multi-purpose shredder.
- It’s automatic and easy to operate.
- Quality for price.
- It’s quiet.
- It easily breaks once overworked.
2. Sentinel FM101P sheet high security micro-cut paper
You can never go wrong with this model of paper shredder that is not only budget friendly but also versatile and suitable for use in offices and government facilities. Being a micro-cut shredder, your sensitive data will be obliterated in details leaving behind no possibility of retrieving any information from them. The latter boasts of the following features;
- It has a large shredding ability that can blade ten sheets of papers at a go.
- It features a large waste basket that is 3.5 gallon. The bin is so easy to empty and has a peeping window to check and know when the bin is in its full capacity.
- Similar to amazon basics, it also features an automatic on and off function thus easy to operate.
- It has casters that makes it easy to move from one office to another
- It’s reliable and easier to use.
- Works well without jamming.
- Its relatively fair in price.
- Shreds up to 10 paper works at a pass.
- Complains that it is not as durable.
3. Bonsaii DocShred C156- D- 12 sheet cross cut
This is a high volume paper shredding machine that is designed to blade up to 12 A4 sized sheets of paper at a pass. It is also a cross-cut type of shredder thus guarantees safety over your personal documents. It boasts of the following other features.
- It features a large 5.5 gallon bin that makes it convenient to shred several pieces without the need to empty now and then. The bin also comes with a peeping window to help you know when it’s about to get full.
- It features a hassle free handle that is conveniently placed to prevent spills. Also, this handle makes it easy to lift and empty the waste basket.
- It features an automatic function which enables it to automatically start once you feed in some papers and automatically stop once the process is done.
- It features a manual reverse that helps to clear out the feed that might cause jam due to feeding in excess papers.
- Has an overheating protection technology that automatically shuts the machine off after it has started overheating. Normally, it allows it to operate for 5 mins maximum and later cool off for 40 minutes.
- It comes with a one year warranty.
- It’s automatic to start and easy to use.
- Shreds papers into tiny pieces that are so hard to reassemble.
- Convenient for both home and office use.
- It is cheap and affordable.
- Can shred not only papers but also credit cards, CDs and DVDs.
- Several reviews that this shredder easily breaks.
4. Fellowes powershred 49C cross cut paper shredder
Are you worried that your sensitive private information might leak out to scammers? Then, this is the perfect shredder for you. It is a cross cut type of shredder thus guarantees top safety over your documents. The latter features the following;
- It has a high shredding power that makes it convenient and effective in shredding documents, paper clips, stapled papers and credit cards. It also has the ability to shred 8 sheets of paper at once.
- It has safety features thus safe to use at home office. That includes a safety lock that makes it to automatically stop after 5 minutes of working and cool off for 30 minutes. This prevents overheating and fire hazards.
- Its 4 gallon litter bin makes it possible to shred many papers without emptying now and then. This makes it a time saver.
- Safe to use at home and around kids.
- Has 70 DB noise level which means very little noise.
- It is built to last longer.
- Large basket to hold many litters without emptying now and then.
- Its litter bin has no peeping window.
5. Amazon basics 6 sheet cross-cut paper shredder
This is another great deal for any business or personal use. It is a cross-cut type that destroys documents completely with no hope for scammers to retrieve any information from the shredded pieces. The latter boasts of the following features.
- It has a reverse function that works best to ensure all remnants of un-shredded or half shredded papers have been retrieved to eliminate possible paper jams.
- It features a thermal protection ability to turn the machine off after hitting its maximum running time to avoid overworking the motor.
- It is easy to start, operate and stop thanks to its automatic technology that turns the machine on once it detects something and off once the shredding is complete.
- It can shred even staples thus no need to remove them from your documents.
- It is cheap but quality.
- Automatic settings that make it easy to use.
- Not suitable for CDs.
- No bin window to tell when the bin is full.
6. Aurora AU870MA high security 8 sheet micro-cut shredder
If you crave for a noiseless, safety guaranteed shredder, this is another great option for you. It is a micro-cut machine that grinds up your documents turning them into smaller pieces. It features the following:
- A 3.9 gallon waste bin that is extremely simple and easy to empty.
- A high shredding capacity that shreds 8 sheets of paper at a pass turning them into very tiny pieces.
- Like other shredders in our page, aurora AU870MA model also relies on an automated on and off function that makes its operation easy.
- It also features a manual reverse to clear paper remnants that causes jam as well as an overheating protection that allows it to run for 5 minutes and stop to cool down.
- It micro-cuts papers into very tiny pieces providing maximum security.
- Has a LED indicator that notifies you once the motor starts overheating.
- Has a large capacity waste bin that is easy to empty.
- Shreds up to 8 papers at a go.
- To some users, it stopped working sooner than expected.
7. Fellowes Powershred P – 30C 6-sheet crosscut paper shredder
Do you need a personal paper shredder with guaranteed safety over your sensitive information? This is the right shredder for you. First off, it is convenient for fewer users. It features the following;
- Features a 4 gallon waste bin with an easy to lift handle that makes it easy to lift and empty off the litter.
- Has an efficient operation power that can shred up to 6 sheets of paper at a time. It also has the ability to work for 3 continues minutes nonstop and then 40 minutes cool off period to save the motor.
- It is a multi-purpose shredder that can shred paper work, paper clips, staples and plastic credit cards.
- It has a one year warranty.
- Easy to use.
- Safety guaranteed.
- It’s not suitable for many users.
8. Aurora AU1220XA 12 sheet crosscut paper and credit card shredder
We end our list with this reliable cross-cut shredder that destroys documents completely leaving no room to reassemble them. The latter does not only destroy papers but also staples, paper clips, and credit cards. It features the following:
- A waste basket of 5.2 gallon that holds huge amount of waste thus eliminating the need to dispose the litter now and then. That helps to save time.
- An overload protection that helps to prevent paper jam for smooth shredding process.
- An overheat signal that alerts when the motor is overheating
- Strong working capacity that allows it to shred 12 sheets of paper at a pass with a 3 minutes nonstop working time.
- It guarantees safety over your documents.
- It’s safe to use both at home and in the office.
- Cheap and affordable.
- It is fast and reliable.
- Shreds papers as well as credit cards.
- Its silent and serene.
- Sometimes its automatic shut off do not work forcing you to shut it manually.
Tips For Using A Paper Shredder
Although easy to use and comes with a number of benefits, paper shredders can also be hectic if not properly used and maintained. For smooth running and effectiveness on your shredder, follow these tips.
- Thoroughly clean your shredder blades to get rid of dust and remnant pieces of paper.
- Lubricate your shredder after emptying the waste bin.
- Regularly empty your shredder bin to avoid possible Jam
- Once in a while, run your shredder reversibly to prevent the blades and the paper from wadding up.
- Avoid overheating or overusing your shredder. Periodically, always give it time to cool off.
- Avoid spraying any aerosol products around the shredder.
As seen, there are different types of paper shredders for less than $100. Although cheap is not always the best, our list of paper shredders below $100 has proved their reliability and power to deliver. Get yourself one from our list and secure the safe disposal of your personal documents. All the best!