Since your hands are a precious and essential part of the body, they should be protected at all cost. Truth be told, your hands are so vulnerable and prone to accidents. In fact, OSHA records about 80 percentages of hand accidents in different workplaces.
If your workplace entails use of hazardous chemicals, effective protective gloves are so vital. It is important to note that there are different types of hazardous chemicals. And no glove is 100% resistant to all types of chemicals. That is why choosing the right gloves for your particular work environment might be confusing. However, we are here to help.
Protective gloves from hazardous chemicals should be selected on the basis of its material, types of chemical involved, and its fitting size. In general, there is a wide guide when it comes to choosing the best type of gloves that protects your hands from hazardous chemicals. To understand better, let’s read through!
Type Of Gloves That Protects Your Hands From Hazardous Chemicals
Types of gloves are defined by their materials. Before digging dip into that, you should have in mind that hazardous chemicals are normally broken into different classes. According to safety experts, sometimes, a certain material of gloves can resist well to class A of hazardous chemical and fail to resist to class-B. However this is so rare. They noted that in most cases, if a glove material protects well against one hazardous chemical, it will still hold up to the rest of the chemicals. Nevertheless, not all materials are suitable for these chemicals. The big question is; which are the best materials? Below is a handy overview of the best materials to consider.
1. Latex type
These are the most preferred types of gloves. They are made of natural rubber materials that do not absorb liquids. Therefore, they are effective in protecting your hands against hazardous chemicals. More often than not, they are used to protect our hands against aircraft, food processing industries, automotive, medical, or laboratory chemicals. Besides, they are worth a try because the material is thin, flexible, and comfortable on the hands. They also come with a perfect fitting size, are affordable, and easily accessible.
- They are not 100% resistant to chemicals
- They possibly cause different skin reactions in different individuals.
2. Nitrile type
Nitrile is another super effective glove material that basically protects your hands against abrasions and perforations. They are used in food industries, automotives, paint works, and industrial cleaning services among others. Generally, they are very resistant to solvents, thinners, esters, and bases. Therefore, they are used in a broad variety of applications than latex gloves.
However, according to experts, Nitrile should never be used while handling strong oxidant acids or any nitrogen organic chemicals.
- Not protective against all types of chemicals.
- They are not resistance to frames.
3. Neoprene type
Neoprene is another reliable material to consider as it comes with a very excellent resistance to a wide range of hazardous chemicals. This material resists well to nearly all acids, bases, and even organic chemicals. When it comes to comfort and flexibility, this polymer never disappoints. It is extremely flexible and operates effectively in every institution that requires good grip and sensitivity.
Besides, these types of gloves are cheap to acquires, durable, and high resistant to hazardous chemicals. They are also smooth, made of cut resistant and heat resistant properties.
- When wet, it loses its grip on hands.
Also known as PVC materials, these types of gloves are mostly used in petrochemical industries because they are strong, durable, and highly resistance against cut. In addition, they are highly resistant to hazardous chemicals, strong, and resistant to aging.
Besides, the gloves are so ideal to handle strong acids, alkalis, and other substances like alcohol, hydraulic oil, and also aromatic solvents. Not to forget their good grip and abrasion resistant. They are suitable to work in construction sites, in fisheries, petrochemicals oil and fuel companies.
- They are not suitable to use with ketones, acetones, ether, or chlorinated solvents.
5. Polyvinyl alcohol
According to experts, PVA materials are so strong and capable of holding on to the most hazardous and nasty chemicals. However, they dissolve in water since they are made of water soluble. Therefore, as much as they are resistant to hazardous chemicals, they are harmful to use in humid environments.
The later is less permeable to gases and is excellent to use with gases like hydrogen cyanide or chlorine gas.
- Highly dissolvable in water.
6. Butyl type
These types of gloves are strong and so effective in protecting your hands against hazardous chemicals. Basically, they have hard rubber materials with dense molecular structure that don’t dissolve or absorb any liquid at all.
They have the ability to resist hazardous chemicals like ketones, nitri- compounds, acids, bases, alcohol, and rocket fuels. In addition, this type can withstand cold and hot temperatures, oxidation, ozone corrosion as well as abrasion
- It is expensive to acquire
Among many types of gloves in the market, vitron is the most effective type and definitely the most expensive. It is normally referred to as “the final solution” that comes in hand after the rest types of gloves fail to work. I mean, they are resistant to almost all types of hazardous chemicals that the rest are unable to withstand.
- It is the most expensive among the rest.
8 Type of Gloves To Protects Your Hands Against Hazardous Chemicals
1. Gastody chemical resistant gloves
This is a rubber-latex material type of glove. Therefore, the gloves protect users from hazardous substances such as vanishes and acids. However, they are a shield to a wide range of substances, both industrial and domestic.
The gloves are very flexible allowing your fingers to move effortlessly. Also, their rubber-like exterior gives them a very firm grip thanks to their anti-slip-resistant pattern. In addition, they come in a stylish colorful design with one universal size. This allows them to fit into your hands comfortably.
- They have a stylish outlook
- This gloves are very firm thanks to their slip-resistant nature
- They are super versatile
- Designed from pure latex rubber
2. Infi-touch heavy-duty nitrile gloves
This is a nitrile material glove. The pair exhibits 6 millimeter thickness thus super comfortable and flexible. This gives your fingers an ample environment for easier movement.
In addition, they are very reliable when it comes to handling hazardous chemicals. This is thanks to their super protective acrylic inner lining that ensures they don’t absorb any chemicals. They are also micro textured for a great grip.
- They are very flexible and comfortable due to their light nature.
- Exhibit robust puncture resistance ability.
- Have a very protective interior lining.
3. Showa 845-730-08 nitrile cotton flock-lined chemical resistant glove
This model of gloves is made of nitrile heavy materials. To begin with, these gloves are very comfortable thanks to their interior liner that offers a smooth feel to your hands. This liner also absorbs sweat thus suitable to wear all day long.
Besides, they are 15 millimeters thick thus rigid to punctures. They are 13 inches long to provide complete immunity against hazardous materials. Lastly, they have a case-hardened finish which ensures resistance against chemicals and abrasions.
- They are 15 millimeters thick thus impermeable to chemicals and solvents.
- Have a good height that offers additional protection to your hands.
- Have a great finish for additional protection.
- Their interior exhibits a reliable lining for additional comfort.
4. Uxglove chemical resistant latex gloves
If you are looking for heavy-duty hazardous protective gloves, uxglove is your perfect remedy. The gloves are quite long for protection against chemicals and solvents. They are very smooth and elastic in nature for ease of wearing and taking off. The smoothness ensures quality comfort even when worn for a long period. Besides, they have a unique texture for perfect grip.
- They have long sleeves for additional protection.
- They are very smooth and comfortable.
- Exhibit a highly elastic nature.
- They are very durable when maintained.
5. Showa-620-09 atlas 620 fully coated double dipped PVC glove
They are made of PVS type of materials. Unlike most gloves, they are sealable to ensure complete protection against hazardous chemicals. Also, they are very convenient around wet environments. In addition, they are soft textured for a firm secure grip and very good in shielding users against any unseen electrical currents. With these gloves, your hands get additional protection as it exhibits 12 inch long sleeves.
- Comes with a good grip.
- Has a very comfortable interior.
- They are very durable in nature.
- These gloves come with good electrical insulation.
6. JustSeen chemical resistant latex gloves
They are latex types of gloves. These gloves are super protective against hazardous chemicals because of the following. They feature long sleeves of about 22 inches in length for optimal protection.
In addition, they have a crimping design to ensure great firmness across all surfaces. Durability is also greatly addressed as they are made from natural latex which is well renowned for its durability. On top of that, its outer material is both tear and corrosion resistant.
- Its material is corrosion-resistant.
- Have super long sleeves for additional protection.
- They are very durable.
7. Pvc coated work gloves
This pair exhibits a modern PVC coating which makes it very protective against harmful substances. The PVC coating also gives them an abrasion resistance quality. Therefore, they cannot tear or get a puncture easily. On top of that, its coating is adequately textured to ensure you have maximum grip.
On the interior, there is a cotton seamless knit lining that provides a soft barrier between the skin and the glove for exceptional comfort. When it comes to additional protection, they have an extended sleeve with a tough exterior that measures 12 inches long from the fingertips.
- Exhibits a PVC lining.
- They are very versatile.
- They a comfortable cotton lining for maximum comfort.
- Its interior lining absorbs sweat.
- It is quite easy to wear and take off.
8. West Chester 12018-l 12018 chemical resistant PVC coated gloves
Designed from PVC and cotton materials, the above gloves are suitable for use in different environments. Its quality raw materials give them enough toughness to resist abrasions, tears, and sudden punctures. So, whether you are at the lab, a construction site, or a refinery industry, these gloves will serve you best.
Moreover, they have long gauntlet cuff which plays a key role in offering additional protection. Actually, they measure up to 18 inches in length, while their palm measures exactly 5 inches. They have a smooth finish around the palm area to give them a secure grip.
- They have long sleeves for utmost protection.
- They have a winged thumb design for an efficient grip.
- Have a very tough exterior for good longevity.
Factors To Consider When Select A Type Of Gloves To Protects Your Hands From Hazardous Chemicals
- Glove materials: There are several types of glove materials. As seen, some can hold on to hazardous chemicals while others can’t. Therefore, it’s wise to select the material that can accommodate the type of chemicals you handle.
- Nature of work: Your nature of the work environment should greatly determine the type of gloves to buy. Before purchase, ask yourself: what type of chemicals will I come in contact with? How often will I come in contact with these chemicals? What is the concentration of these chemicals? If you deal with high concentrated hazardous chemicals, then you should consider materials like citron. This is to ensure that your hands are well protected against hazardous chemicals.
- Comfort: Depending on the nature of your work, protective gloves should be worn either for a long or shorter period of time. Although effectiveness is a great factor, comfort should also be put into consideration when buying hazardous chemicals protective gloves. Your gloves should have a comfortable fitting, warm and comfortable interiors. It should also have an amazing grip while working.
- Length of the glove: An ideal glove for hazardous chemicals should be long enough. When handling chemicals they might splash and land on an unprotected part of the hand. Therefore, ensure the gloves are long enough to leave no skin uncovered.
As seen, there are several types of protective gloves against hazardous chemicals. According to OSHA, the heavier and thick your glove is, the more resistant it is towards hazardous chemicals. However, they may slightly impair in terms of grip. Therefore, it’s always advisable to inspect your gloves thoroughly before use.